TREW Marketing, a full services marketing firm that focuses specifically on engineering and scientific companies, gave a great session on Alliance Day sharing straightforward, actionable ideas for Alliance Partners. In preparation for their presentation, TREW Marketing worked with NI to survey Alliance Partners about their marketing activities. From this, they formulated the 5 highest priorities:
1. Your Web Site
Your website is your single most important marketing investment. 80% of Alliance Partners believe that their web site is very to critically important. Yet, over 2/3rd of Alliance Partners believe their web site is weak or even detrimental to their business. TREW Marketing advices you to focus on 3 things:
- Clean navigation – Make sure that users can easily navigate your site. For instance, don’t clutter your home page with lots of text. Instead, use navigation bars and links to make content easily accessible.
- Clear, tight content –See more in #2.
- Engaging visitors – After providing the user with a short explanation, give them the option to download a white paper, article, or datasheet for more information.
2. Content and Collateral
Despite customers interest in technical content and case studies, less than 1/4th of Alliance Partners believe that they provide an adequate breadth and variety of content on their website. Your content should be fresh, engaging, educational and actionable. Specific recommendations included:
- Quality not quantity – Work hard to keep your content concise. In general headlines should be short and text on a page kept to a paragraph or two.
- Customer testimonials – Case studies and customer quotes are always effective at building confidence of your prospects.
- Re-use – Take advantage of content that you are creating for customer proposals, events, …. For instance, make a video of a tradeshow demonstration or a customer application and use it as content on your web site.
I’ll summarize the tips 3-5 from TREW Marketing next week.